The foundation for Christ Lutheran Church was laid by the lay ministry of Diedrich Rode who served the families of the Cherry Spring Community from the time of the Civil War when there were few ordained Lutheran pastors in the area until 1903. Worship services, Sunday school, and Confirmation classes were held in the three-story Rode home that stills stands today to the south of the church. When Mr. Rodeís health prohibited him from serving the needs of the people of the area he requested that Rev. C. Ziehe of Mason conduct services in his home.

On March 18, 1905 Christ Lutheran Church was formally organized. Under the guidance of Rev. Ziehe of Mason, Texas, the young congregation adopted a constitution. In June 1905 a delegation met with leaders of St. Peter Church of Threadgill (Doss) and it was decided that the two congregations would issue a joint call for a pastor to serve both congregations. One pastor has jointly served the two congregations since that time.

Land was donated by one of the founding families and plans were made to construct a house of worship. The church was built from limestone donated by members and was completed in late 1906. The church building was dedicated on January 20, 1907 with much rejoicing of the members.

A parish hall to serve the needs of the growing congregation was built and dedicated to God on June 12, 1949. It is here that Sunday School classes and organizational meetings are held. The members use the building frequently for fellowship and potluck meals that the congregation enjoys. In addition, the building is available for family reunions, bridal and baby showers, wedding receptions, and so on.

The picturesque Hill Country region of Texas west of Fredericksburg close to the northern boundary of Gillespie County is the site of Christ Lutheran Church. It sits on the Cherry Spring Road just off U. S. Highway 87 North just before the Mason County line. Because of its location close to where the three counties of Gillespie, Mason, and Llano converge, the congregation serves members residing in all three counties. Surrounded by lovely old live oak trees and sitting on a rolling hillside, the church has become a popular site for weddings of couples from across the state because of the beautiful setting.

The congregation has made sure that the beauty of the church building has been maintained since its original dedication 96 years ago. Renovations to the church over the years have modernized the building without losing any of its early charm or its historical significance. On Reformation Sunday, October 30, 1988, a state historical plaque was dedicated. The latest renovations to the church were completed in 1999 and a re-dedication service took place on Reformation Sunday, October 31, 1999. In late 2002, renovation of the Parish Hall was completed and the congregation was again able to occupy this space for Sunday school classes and other functions.

In 2005, the congregation will celebrate its 100th anniversary with a celebration that is already in the planning stages. A Historical Committee has been formed and is working to gather information from a myriad of sources so that a book commemorating the 100+ years that this congregation and its forefathers has been worshiping here in Godís hills will be available. Our 200+ baptized members look forward to the next 100 years as we strive to keep working in the Lordís kingdom.

We are a welcoming family and look forward to having you join us soon.